Every once and a while we like to share some business tips. Here is one that all of us can relate to, either as an employee or an employer. How do I stand out as a great employee? Here are my Top 5 Tips to Be a Great Employee:
1. Do what you were hired to do. Make sure you clearly understand what your job responsibilities are and go execute those tasks. If your responsibilities are not clear, ask your manager questions to help clarify your role.
2. Be someone people trust. If people know that you always do what you say you are going to do and they don't have to ask twice, they will develop trust in you. Word of your follow-through will spread around the office - and while that may bring more work for you, it is a good thing!
3. Make sure your work looks good too. It doesn't take too long to add a little style to your work and it can go a long way. A basic presentation, document, or spreadsheet with Arial black font tends to lose people quickly. Fortunately for you, a lot of people don't invest time into style, which means you can use this simple tip as a way to make your work stand out from the rest.
4. Look for ways to do things better. Employers appreciate when you see opportunities to make your company more efficient. Spend a little time documenting the opportunity and share it with your manager. Even if your solutions are not accepted, your manager will see that you are interested in the overall good of the company.
5. Listen to criticism and learn from it. We all make mistakes or are given suggestions for improvement. After playing football for Coach Urban Meyer at the University of Utah for two seasons, I quickly learned how to take criticism. You may not like it but don't let it take you down. Learn from it. Try and see things from the other person's perspective. Listen to the criticism, course correct as needed, and quickly move forward. This will show to your manager both strength and your willingness to always improve.
We all want to be great employees. These are some small steps that can help you quickly stand out as one!